- CANADA STOCKS-TSX slips as energy stocks, miners fallCanada's main stock index slipped on Thursday, weighed by gold miners and energy stocks including Husky Energy Inc and Barrick Gold Corp , which were both hit by sanctions from regulators, while banks ...(18 Jan 2018 22:05:32 +0000)
- Buy 4 Non-U.S. Mobile Operators with Strong Growth PotentialWireless networks hold the key to growth of the overall telecom industry globally.(18 Jan 2018 20:54:08 +0000)
- Regulator orders Barrick to close Chile side of projectSANTIAGO/TORONTO, Jan 18 (Reuters) - Environmental regulators ordered Barrick Gold Corp to close the Chilean side of its stalled Pascua-Lama mining project on Thursday, but reduced a 2013 fine for violations by more than 25 percent to $11.5 million. Barrick, the world's largest gold producer, said that closing surface facilities in Chile is consistent with its plan to advance a study on underground mining at Pascua-Lama, which straddles the border of Argentina and Chile in the Andes Mountains.(18 Jan 2018 16:07:51 +0000)
- Energy and Base Metals Shine on Strong Global Demand, Slowing Supply: Scotiabank EconomicsTORONTO, Jan. 18, 2018 /CNW/ - Commodity markets rang in the New Year on their front foot and virtually all industrial materials are maintaining upward momentum after cementing strong gains made over the latter half of 2017. "Along with a robust global demand, we anticipate tighter supply conditions for most industrial commodities in 2018," said Rory Johnston, Commodity Economist at Scotiabank. On the supply side, production growth is slowing as the pipeline of projects sanctioned amidst the high prices of the mid-2010s empties over the forecast horizon.(18 Jan 2018 15:00:00 +0000)
- Growing the campus conversation about mental health at universities and colleges across the country with Bell Let's TalkGrowing the campus conversation about mental health at universities and colleges across the country with Bell Let's Talk(18 Jan 2018 14:02:00 +0000)
- RBC recognized as 'Best Trade Finance Provider in Canada' for sixth consecutive year by Global Finance magazineTORONTO, Jan. 18, 2018 /CNW/ - Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) (RBC) has been named 'Best Trade Finance Provider in Canada' for the sixth consecutive year by Global Finance magazine. The award demonstrates the cross-platform collaboration of the Trade Finance team and its continued commitment to providing clients with the technology, services and skills to support their international trade finance requirements. RBC's Trade Finance team draws on the global expertise of professionals across RBC who possess a rich understanding of global and domestic markets and collaborate to serve each client, facilitating their global growth objectives while managing risk.(18 Jan 2018 14:00:00 +0000)
- Increased Earnings Estimates Seen for Suncor Energy (SU): Can It Move Higher?Suncor Energy (SU) could be an interesting play for investors as it is seeing solid activity on the earnings estimate revision, along with decent short-term momentum.(18 Jan 2018 13:58:01 +0000)
- Chile orders definitive closure of Barrick's Pascua-LamaChile's environmental agency has ordered the definitive closure of the Barrick Gold Corp Pascua-Lama mining project and fined the company 7 billion pesos or for environmental violations, the agency said ...(18 Jan 2018 13:56:00 +0000)
- MEDIA ADVISORY - Scotiabank brings Canada's biggest celebration of hockey, Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada® to SarniaMEDIA ADVISORY - Scotiabank brings Canada's biggest celebration of hockey, Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada® to Sarnia(18 Jan 2018 13:30:00 +0000)
- Barrick Studies Impact of Chile's Pascua-Lama Closure OrderBarrick Gold Corp. is analyzing revised sanctions on its Pascua-Lama project on the Chile-Argentine border after Chile’s environmental agency reduced a fine but imposed new conditions, including the definitive ...(18 Jan 2018 13:26:14 +0000)
The Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX or TSE) is Canada’s largest exchange, with the S&P/TSX Composite its most important index. The index is focused heavily on Canada’s 2 biggest industries, financial services, and natural resources (gold, silver, oil, natural gas, potash, lumber, and fisheries).
The 300 companies in the index makes up 70% of all Canadian public companies by market capitalization. This means it is a very good benchmark for the overall health and strength of the Canadian economy. However this TSX heat map focuses on the 10 biggest.