- Labor group sees progress at major Apple supplier(12 Dec 2013 12:10:46)
- Labor group sees progress at major Apple supplier[AP] - A labor group monitoring three Chinese factories that make iPhones and other Apple products says once-oppressive working conditions have steadily improved in the last 18 months, but more must be done to ...(12 Dec 2013 12:09:51)
- Apple medical experts say Pegatron factory death unrelated to working conditions(12 Dec 2013 12:02:28)
- Apple medical experts say Pegatron factory death unrelated to working conditions(12 Dec 2013 12:01:14)
- Apple medical experts say Pegatron factory death unrelated to working conditions[Reuters] - TAIPEI/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Inc sent medical experts to the Shanghai factory of contractor Pegatron Corp, who concluded that working conditions did not lead to the death from pneumonia of a 15-year-old boy who had lied to gain employment. Apple has taken various measures in response to questions on whether its products are made in sweatshop-like conditions, since about a dozen suicides from 2010 at assembler Foxconn. The world's most valuable technology company commissioned an investigation of suppliers' Chinese factories last year by the Fair Labor Association (FLA), which in a report on Thursday said working hours at Foxconn now comply with its standard. "Last month we sent independent medical experts from the U.S. and China to conduct an investigation of the (Pegatron) factory.(12 Dec 2013 12:01:14)
- Apple supplier draws scrutiny after worker deaths[at CNNMoney.com] - Apple sent a team of medical experts to inspect a factory in China last month after the deaths of a number of workers, including one who was underage. Shi Zhaokun, who was 15, died from severe pneumonia ...(12 Dec 2013 12:01:00)
- China Mobile begins taking iPhone 5S pre-orders, CNBC says[at theflyonthewall.com] - China Mobile begins taking iPhone 5S pre-orders, CNBC says(12 Dec 2013 11:52:18)
- Apple's iPhone 5S at China Mobile Beijing: One every 2 sec.[at Fortune] - FORTUNE -- Some time before midnight in New York -- 1 p.m. in Beijing -- China Mobile's (CHL) Beijing reservation website switched to attached image, strongly suggesting that Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 5S was ...(12 Dec 2013 11:31:00)
- Why the Xbox Means So Little to Microsoft(12 Dec 2013 11:22:13)
- Korean Court Rejects Samsung Lawsuit Against Apple[at New York Times] - In the latest twist in a global patent fight between the two companies, the ruling said Apple had not infringed on Samsung patents relating to mobile messaging technology.(12 Dec 2013 11:20:23)
The Standard & Poor’s 500 (S&P 500) is the main US index, and the largest index in the world. It is used as a global barometer for the world markets. All major investment funds, hedge funds, and investment portfolios are benchmarked again the S&P 500.
It is comprised of the 500 largest US companies, and a significant portion of the overall the United States of America’s market capitalization. The index is not based on any one sector, so it is seen as the best overall signal of the US market.
The index is free-floating and capitalization-weighted, and broken down into individual market sectors; consumer non-cyclical, consumer cyclical, financial, energy, technology, communications, industrial, basic materials and utilities.