- How to Invest in Peak Oil(25 May 2013 11:03:06)
- Is This iPhone App Causing FDA Officials to Lose Sleep?[at Wall St. Cheat Sheet] - Urine analysis is no longer the sole province of medical professions and laboratories.(25 May 2013 11:01:06)
- Another BlackBerry Catalyst - Services(25 May 2013 11:00:00)
- There's More to Microsoft Than Windows 8[at Motley Fool] - The buzz surrounding Microsoft usually involves Windows, but it's making huge strides in the ops management market, too.(25 May 2013 09:35:10)
- [$$] 13D Filings(25 May 2013 09:31:14)
- [$$] Where to Find Tomorrow's Growth Stocks(25 May 2013 09:31:13)
- [$$] Review(25 May 2013 09:30:59)
- [$$] On Trial for Tax Treason[at Barrons.com] - On Trial for Tax Treason(25 May 2013 09:30:59)
- [$$] Get Set for a Summer of Discontent[at Barrons.com] - Get Set for a Summer of Discontent(25 May 2013 09:30:55)
- [$$] Investors Flinch, Four-Week Win Streak Ends(25 May 2013 09:30:43)
The Standard & Poor’s 500 (S&P 500) is the main US index, and the largest index in the world. It is used as a global barometer for the world markets. All major investment funds, hedge funds, and investment portfolios are benchmarked again the S&P 500.
It is comprised of the 500 largest US companies, and a significant portion of the overall the United States of America’s market capitalization. The index is not based on any one sector, so it is seen as the best overall signal of the US market.
The index is free-floating and capitalization-weighted, and broken down into individual market sectors; consumer non-cyclical, consumer cyclical, financial, energy, technology, communications, industrial, basic materials and utilities.