- Former workers at U.S.-owned miner Freeport Indonesia injured in clash with policeHundreds of workers laid off by Freeport Indonesia clashed with security forces, injuring three, near the company's mines in the eastern province of Papua on Saturday, company and union officials said. The Indonesian unit of U.S. mining giant Freeport McMoran Inc. has been embroiled in a labour dispute since May, when around 5,000 workers went on strike to protest against mass layoffs. Freeport says the layoffs were triggered by unexpected revisions earlier this year in government rules on taxes and royalties.(19 Aug 2017 14:08:30 +0000)
- Fired workers protest against U.S.-owned miner Freeport IndonesiaHundreds of workers laid off by Freeport Indonesia blocked routes and set trucks on fire near the company’s mines in the eastern province of Papua on Saturday, company officials said. The Indonesian unit of U.S. mining giant Freeport McMoran Inc. has been embroiled in a labour dispute since May, when around 5,000 workers went on strike to protest against mass layoffs. Freeport says the layoffs were triggered by unexpected revisions earlier this year in government rules on taxes and royalties.(19 Aug 2017 12:43:40 +0000)
- CANADA STOCKS-TSX slides as inflation, stronger loonie cloud sentimentCanada's main stock index fell on Friday, led lower by bank and gold mining shares, as concerns about the impact of a stronger Canadian dollar and higher inflation on the economy clouded sentiment. Domestic data showed that Canada's annual inflation rate ticked higher in July, suggesting price pressures are picking up after June's subdued reading and clearing the way for the Bank of Canada to raise interest rates in the fall. The news helped lift the Canadian dollar.(18 Aug 2017 20:54:43 +0000)
- Nasdaq, S&P 500 Turn North; Caterpillar Gains 1%Gold explorer Randgold Resources advanced as the stock worked on a base.(18 Aug 2017 16:09:06 +0000)
- CANADA STOCKS-TSX slides as investors shun riskier assets, gold shinesCanada's main stock index fell on Friday, led lower by heavyweight bank shares, as investors worldwide fled equities to perceived safe-haven investments amid global geopolitical uncertainties. Deadly attacks ...(18 Aug 2017 15:13:42 +0000)
- Freeport and Copper: Is a Correction in the Cards?Copper prices have shown strength over the last few trading sessions, which has helped the upwards price action of miners including Freeport-McMoRan (FCX), Glencore (GLNCY), and Southern Copper (SCCO)....(18 Aug 2017 14:38:04 +0000)
- Is Liquidity a Concern for Gold Miners after 2Q17 Earnings?Newmont Mining had $5.5 billion in liquidity, including $3.1 billion in cash at the end of 2Q17. It has one of the best credit ratings in the sector.(18 Aug 2017 14:37:06 +0000)
- What’s Driving the Recent Strength in Copper Prices?The US dollar has shown weakness, which is impacting commodity prices.(18 Aug 2017 13:08:22 +0000)
- Chart in Focus: The Improving Financial Health of Senior Gold MinersNewmont Mining's net debt-to-adjusted EBITDA improved to 0.6x in 2Q17 from 0.7x at the end of 1Q17 and 1.3x at the end of 2015.(18 Aug 2017 13:07:15 +0000)
- Freeport-McMoRan Announces Redemption of Five Series of Senior NotesFreeport-McMoRan Inc. announced today that notices have been issued to redeem on September 18, 2017, $543 million aggregate principal amount of two series of Freeport-McMoRan Inc.(18 Aug 2017 13:06:00 +0000)
The Philadelphia Gold and Silver Index is one of the most important gold indices, focusing on the 16 largest gold and precious metals mining companies traded in the US. Gold prices are important to the global economics as they are a hedge against inflation – forcing gold prices to rise strongly when inflation is high and overall risk appetite is high too.
See the XAU Philadelphia Gold and Silver Index heat map and overall gold sector heat map today.